Monday, September 5, 2011

A restful day..........

Sunday is a quiet day here.  The first relaxing day I have had in a long time it seems.  Life here is much more laid back than Canada.   Cathy, Teste and their son Kevin are so hospitable and have welcomed me into their home.  They have a great dog,  Max who comes often for a “hug” and he insists on having one.  They also have a cat – very much an open air house with a lot of sitting on the porch overlooking the garden.
Today I showed Cathy all the school supplies and other things I have made for the children.  They are thankful  for everything.  I am going to be very busy this week, teaching the little kids in the morning,  and helping teach English to adults in the afternoon.  They teach parenting and hygiene to local Mama’s as well on alternate days.  I am very excited to have this experience and have met some of the kids already. They are so beautiful with huge brown eyes and the biggest smiles.  It is a very small community and everyone walks everywhere.  Daily life is so colourful with Mama’s in their beautiful outfits and headscarves with their babies’ in Kanga’s  on their backs - also usually carrying something on their heads.  Very few people have cars here – they walk everywhere.  There is always a smile and a greeting.   Despite all that these people have been through, they are so happy.   It makes me feel very humble indeed.
Kevin taught me a few words that I plan on using tomorrow:
Muraho – Hello
Marakoze – Thank you
Amakuru – How are you
Nimeza – I am fine
Murabeho – Goodbye
That will be plenty for the first day of school.  Tuesday is the “Goat Market” – I am pretty excited to buy some goats and give them to families. 
The permit for the Gorilla Trek is for September 23rd.  I will arrange transportation to the mountain to meet the guides and join a group to trek to one of the Gorilla tribes.  Some are closer than others and groups are arranged depending on the fitness level of individuals.  Apparently, it is such an amazing experience to see a whole family group of Gorilla’s up very close.  You are only allowed one hour with them.  They are very strict as this is a protected species and they can easily contract illness from humans.  The guides speak Gorilla language to let them know they are safe.  They give you explicit instructions as to what to do. That will be a once in a life time experience I expect – unless I come again which is quite likely in fact.
I am hoping to take some pictures tomorrow and attach to this post.........take care everyone......

No comments:

Post a Comment