Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Goats to Families

Wednesday, September 7th
Emmanuel and I walked to school this morning – a different route.  It was a great 45 minute walk.  He is such a nice young man, 21 years old and going to university in Kigali in October on full scholarship.  He wants to be a Physiologist. 
I worked with the kids this morning until 10 am – they are great but very needy and the little ones don’t understand English so it is a challenge.  Today is the day that the families come that are next on the list for a goat and a care package.  The local government representative comes with a list of who is eligible.  There is the family name, how many children they have and if they are very poor or just struggling.  All the families today are very poor and have nothing and lots of kids.  The goats are grazing in the yard waiting to be picked up.
Joe bought two goats and four care packages to give out today.  The care packages include soap, a blanket, meat, flour, basin and a jerry can for water.  These simple things make such a difference in the lives of these people.
I felt so emotional as the families arrived and the time came to present the goats to the families.  I could hardly hold it together.  All the fundraising and talking about this wonderful place has at this moment come to fruition.  It is real – I am here in Rwanda giving out goats.  Thanks to all of you kind people who donated to my fundraiser.  The look on their faces when they got their goat was pure gratitude – they were so touched and thankful.  I don’t think I have ever experienced anything like this.  Cathy said, “It is like you just gave them a Mercedes”.  And it is – now they have a chance!   I have to tell you that I quietly named the goats, Jenny, Carolyn, Karen, Eddie and Ali.  The families would not have understood this so just consider them all named.  I thought of you as I handed them the goats.
I gave out five goats today to five different families.  The week after next, I will buy more goats and also care packages – goats are between $40-45 and the care packages are $25.  I am not spending much money at all here so I will try my best to help as many people as I can.
Teste translated to the families the information about the fundraiser that I had and expressed the generosity of all the people who donated to this cause.  As I said, they were so grateful and agreed to pose for pictures so I could share them with you.  I must say, that I feel quite embarrassed to take pictures of these wonderful people.  I DO NOT WANT TO BE SEEN AS A WHITE TOURIST!   But I will make sure to send copies of pictures back to Cathy and Teste so the families can have a copy. 
Thanks again to all of you wonderful people.....................You made a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment