Saturday, September 10, 2011

A day at school...........

Another great day.....I walked to school this morning with Emmanuel.  I learn so much from him when walking – he is a wonderful young man and cannot do enough for me.  As usual, we meet children along the way, greeting us with “Hello Teacher” and they hold hands with us as we walk the rest of the way.
I go in the classroom with the almost 40 2 – 2 ½ year olds and have no control whatsoever.  They do not understand me and I certainly don’t understand them but I do the best I can.  They play with toys and then take turns going to the washroom.  They then happily recite the days of the week, count from 1-10 and do their AB C’s.  They love singing and doing movement activities. They are very smart.  Preschool here is as important as anywhere – early learning is essential.  It is also a way to keep the children happy and occupied while the mother’s work, mostly in the fields.  The land is very dark and fertile here – they grow potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, avocado`s and bananas.
 Then the children have their snack of Sorghum and bread and play outside.  After the outdoor play, they have another snack of Sorghum and bread before they go home.  Preschool is from 8-12 am and before they go home, the whole preschool sings together and then finally sing the National Anthem.  The children love attention, playing ball and trying to catch the bubbles that I was blowing.  Bubbles are a universal activity it seems...
After school, Teste drove us home to have lunch.  After a break, Patience, Joe and I are going back to school to teach the Adult English class.  Teste and Cathy’s car is acting up so we take a Moto taxi again.  It is fun, I must admit! 
In English class, we have 8 adults who are very interested in learning.  Some are more advanced than others but they all are enthusiastic and eager.  Today, we use some of the materials I brought from Canada – we talk about animals, how many legs they have, is their skin rough or smooth, what is their colour and so on.  It turns out to be a good class.
Today is Joe’s last day.  He heads back to the UK tomorrow and is saying his goodbyes.  He has been here for three weeks and is not happy to be leaving.  The kids just love him and he has been teaching them karate. 
After the afternoon class, Patience, Joe and I walk home – always so interesting to walk and see the life here.  A quick shower and off we go to dinner to say goodbye to Joe – another Moto taxi to have Pizza.  A lovely evening with Cathy, Teste, Kevin, Patience and Joe.  It is hard to believe that I have been here a week already.  I feel very comfortable indeed!
Sorry the computer is not letting me attach pictures today..............

No comments:

Post a Comment