Saturday, September 17, 2011

More champagne moments..........

I have two more weeks here.  I am trying to memorize the children’s faces – the names are hard but I know a few.   I spent time in a couple of classrooms today, helping the kids with printing ABC’s and drawing a fish and printing the word fish.  They do such a good job – they are only 3 and 4 years old.  There are almost 40 children in each class with only one teacher so they really appreciate any help.  I took some song boards that I had made and today sang “Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed” with some translation help – they loved it so I did the song twice.  The teachers are starting to use some of the materials that I brought so that makes me very happy.  They just adapt it to the level of the children and make it work.  The classes are from 8 am to 12 with classroom time, outdoor time, time for snack and time for music and singing.
Cathy had a line up of Mama’s and babies seeking medical attention.   One little boy had a very bad burn on his leg – no one is sure how or when it happened but Cathy cleaned it up and the little guy was so brave – Cathy gave him bread so he was quietly eating while she tended to his leg.  It must have hurt but he did not make a sound.  She put burn ointment on the burn and gave the Mama medication for the little boy to drink and instructed her to come back tomorrow to change the bandage and get more medication.  Another Mama was given instructions on how to bathe her baby and wash his clothes.  She might come to the Mama and baby class next week.  It seems like a simple thing to us but a lot of people are not educated and very poor so hygiene is a challenge for many.
This afternoon, I went with Emmanuel to the market to get him some clothes for university.  He told me that his father passed away when he was four and his mother died of Aids when he was six.  He had only one brother who eventually also died.  Emmanuel has had a hard life but he has a bright future as I have said.  He told me that he just wanted a “Mom” to go shopping with him.  Cathy is his “Mom” and is so great to him and many other boys his age.  Off we went to the market to get two pants, a shirt, and other items including paper with her permission.  He could not find shoes today so another day, he will look again.  Again such a small thing but it meant the world to Emmanuel – his reaction moved me to tears.  Again, these are simple ways to make a difference in someone’s life.  We all know what a new outfit does for our self-esteem....All the items we bought today cost about $35.00 US.  That’s all.........
Home again – so Emmanuel could try on his new things for Cathy and Teste - he w as so proud – and me – well I felt better than I have in a very long time............... Here is a picture of Emmanuel and another of a Mama bringing her little ones to school.............

No comments:

Post a Comment