Monday, August 1, 2011

Preparing for the fundraiser.............

I decided in March to go to Rwanda for the month of September.  There were many reasons for this decision.  There are many changes in my life and I have had to move on from a relationship that was not working and was not going to work.  This was very painful and personal and the hardest thing I have ever done.  My partner is the sweetest and most wonderful person in the world but there were significant issues that could not be resolved.  This decision took three years to make after much counselling and soul searching. 

I am having a big birthday in September and wanted to do something really interesting and meaningful to mark the beginning of a fabulous time in my life.  You see, I am a very positive and optimistic person who is passionate and loving.  I need that in return and I do believe I will find that person who has those characteristics.  In fact, I know I will.  So I made the decision to go to PREFER - Poverty Reduction Education Family Empowerment Rwanda.  I read an article last summer in MORE magazine about Cathy Emmerson who runs PREFER.  She inspired me from that moment.  I knew that I would be going to Rwanda.  I contacted her and now I am leaving September 1st for a month.

I firmly believe that you need to believe in yourself and live life authentically and with truth.  That is how I want to live my life.  So I began planning for my trip.  I went to Africa last year - to Tanzania for two months.  Those two months completely changed me in a profound way and I am so happy to be going back to a neighbour country, Rwanda.  Everyone knows about the Genocide in Rwanda in 1994.  One million people murdered in 100 days.  The population is 67% under the age of 18 so education is so important in order for the country to heal and grow.  PREFER has a preschool and is building an elementary school.  They also have a school program for street children and do much work in the community, including a goat program, giving goats to families so they can be sustainable and support themselves.  So my fundraiser is called "Goats for Africa".

One of the reasons for the fundraiser is to raise awareness, especially for children.  If one child goes on the web-site and becomes interested in global issues, then that makes me realize I have done something right.
I did a fundraiser last year but decided to go bigger and bolder this time.  How about a BBQ with a band?  Like my friend Jackie - I am going big or going home.  I was terrified - never done this kind of fundraiser - what if people don't come?  Then my beautiful daughter gave me some words of wisdom - reminded me to remember why I am doing this - who I am doing it for?  I have done my very best to get the word out there so am happy if 75 people come.  So I officially stopped worrrying last week.  Through this experience I have met so many people I would not have otherwise met.  I realize not everyone believes in what I believe in and they don't have to - as long as they believe in something.

August 11th will be a big evening and very special.  The money I make for PREFER will send children to school and buy goats for families. 

No comments:

Post a Comment