Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fundraiser finished!

On the way into Timberlane to help set up, a bird "pooped" on me. Thank goodness it did not get on the hair.  I was told that it was very good luck!  I felt great as I had done everything I could to promote this fundraiser and get people excited about my cause.  The local Aurora newspaper did an article on me as well as Community Clicks.  I knew I had done the best I could and was very proud of myself.  I had booked for 75 people.  Of course, one hopes for more, but it is summer and people are very busy.  I am grateful for every single person who bought a ticket, made a donation or even thought about contributing. Thank you!

The band, The Timecats, set up and people started to arrive.  It was a bit surreal - it was like it was "my party".  I sincerely thank Timberlane, Tanis Hargrave - The Roving Chef and the Timecats - Ron, Steve, Lawrence and Anthony. |Thank you to Ali and Trish who sat at the door and greeted people with their beautiful smiles.  Thanks again to Trish who took pictures for me.  The band sounded great!  The food was wonderful and everyone enjoyed it.  SNAP, a community paper came and the photographer took pictures - look for the Aurora issue on September 1st.  My wonderful niece Jenna and her friend Ashely are members of The Richmond Hill Baton Club and they made up a routine just for my event.  They did a wonderful job - everyone loved it.  Thank you girls......

Dalreen Fobler who spent a month in Rwanda last year, volunteering for PREFER was gracious enough to come and say a few words about her experience there.  Her words touched and inspired everyone. She was able to articulate so well exactly what life is like there and all the great work that Cathy is doing with PREFER.  Thank you Dalreen!  My friend and co-worker Rosaio is an accomplished Toastmaster.  She so kindly offered to do a funny story about surviving the jungle of Africa.  She is so funny and had everyone laughing - thanks Rosario - I hope I survive my Gorilla trek!

People danced and had such fun.  That is what it was all about for me - I wanted everyone to just enjoy the evening.  I am grateful to all of you that support me and believe in me.  Life has changed for me but in a most wonderful way.  I have so much to look forward to and be excited about.  My journey is only just beginning.

I am pleased to say that I raised almost $3000.00.  The $500.00 from the raffle will go with me to Rwanda to personally buy goats at the Goat Market. Thanks Linda for helping me with the raffle.  I will send the rest  of the money to the BC office.  Every cent will go to help families and children in Rwanda.

Thanks to everyone, esspecially my wonderful grown children, Jaye, Andrew, Jeffrey and Able...I gave birth to only two but all four are mine.....A final special thanks to my wonderful friend to Jackie - what would I ever do without your constant love and support - I love you so much!!!!

I am now packing!!  Leaving Sept. 1st.................

No comments:

Post a Comment